Tuesday, December 6, 2011

What effects did contact with Western civilization have on the cultures of India, China, and Japan?

What effects did contact with Western civilization have on the cultures of India, China, and Japan? In each case, how did the effects differ?|||I've studied this a bit, focusing mostly on China, but there are great similarities with China and India, and Japan had a dramatic and focused time of learning from the West in order to surpass the West, culminating in the Second World War.





But I'll give you two glimpses into this huge topic you've opened. It can't be answered simply so I'll give you a simple example from 10 years experience in China and a book that I have read that would give you great insight to the reasons China resists change asserted from the West (whether intentionally or unintentionally).





THE EXAMPLE:


Chinese people in general are in awe of the West, especially the USA, but that awe is waning with China's growth and projected surpassing in various categories. But this awe has stimulated a long-term interest in the things of the US and other Western countries, such as English, Movies, Basketball, Military, and Government.





I'll choose the more neutral category of movies as my example of how Chinese people are impacted because movie popularity soars in its impact through entertainment.





Hollywood impacts the whole world, and through Hollywood many things are portrayed: violence, morals (or lack there of), and an insatiable desire for more entertainment. China has eaten this up in a country that has some 'walls' up to keep information limited, yet has limited moral barriers to keep out entertainment. I sincerely believe this has influenced the dramatic rise in divorce, the focus on materialism, and, again, and obsession with entertainment. If it weren't for the USA, I'd wonder if anyone could beat out China in these categories in the near future.





THE BOOK:


The Great Encounter of China and the West, 1500-1800


http://www.amazon.com/Encounter-1500D180鈥?/a>





Please forgive my negative outlook in this cultural manner, but it is an insider's view from an outsider in China. For although I am a respected foreigner, I'll always be an "Outside-Country Person" to Chinese people. I want to conclude by saying that I'm treated better in China than anywhere else in the world by complete strangers who show kindness to outsiders. I'll take that blessing and let it be the focus of my reflection on the people I'm around in my life in China.

No comments:

Post a Comment